- Normal Distribution Curve-Also alled a Gaussian Distribution (as it was discovered by Carl Gauss)
- Bell curve around the mean.
- Height- estimate mean height is 67.95, and the estimate standard deviation for height is 1.94.
- Blood pressure
- Measurement Error
- Male Foot lengths
- Common Properties of Normal Distribution
- Symmetrical around the mean
- Unimodal- One peak
- Asymptotic- approaching a value or curve abititrarily close.
- Men, median and mode are all equal
- Total area under the curve equals 1
Cornell Note-Taking System Instructions:
- Record: During the lecture, use the note-taking column to record the lecture using telegraphic sentences.
- Questions: As soon after class as possible, formulate questions based onthe notes in the right-hand column. Writing questions helps to clarifymeanings, reveal relationships, establish continuity, and strengthenmemory. Also, the writing of questions sets up a perfect stage for exam-studying later.
- Recite: Cover the note-taking column with a sheet of paper. Then, looking at the questions or cue-words in the question and cue column only, say aloud, in your own words, the answers to the questions, facts, or ideas indicated by the cue-words.
- Reflect: Reflect on the material by asking yourself questions, for example: “What’s the significance of these facts? What principle are they based on? How can I apply them? How do they fit in with what I already know? What’s beyond them?
- Review: Spend at least ten minutes every week reviewing all your previous notes. If you do, you’ll retain a great deal for current use, as well as, for the exam.
For more information, visit www.nursing.com/cornell
Today we’re going to be talking about normal distribution.
Normal distribution is also known as Guassian distribution named after its discoverer Carl Gauss. Data that is said to be of normal distribution will form a bell curve around the meanwhen the data is plotted on a graph.
So some examples of some data sets that have form a normal distribution curve is human height. The mean is 67.95 and the ST DEV is 1.94. Human blood pressure in the US has a Systolic mean of 120 and diastolic of 75.The length of a male foot in the US is 26.3 cm. So each of these data set variables form this bell shaped curve.
We can consider some common Properties of a Normal Distribution Curve. Number one, the data is Symmetrical around the average/mean. That means to the left of the mean and to the right of the mean is a mirror image. Secondly the graph is Unimodal meaning it forms just one major peak. Third, the data set is asymptotic- meaning it is approaching a value or line arbitrarily close. number 4, the mean, median and mode for the data set are all equal. and the 5th common property is that the Total area under the curve equals 1.
We love you guys! Go out and be your best self today! And as always, Happy Nursing!