Included In This Lesson
treatment of hypocalcemia, prevention of post menopausal osteoporosis, treatment of hyperkalemia and hypermagnesaemia, adjunct in cardiac arrest, control of hyperphosphatemia with ESRD. Binds to phosphate in food and prevents absorption.
calcium is essential for nervous muscular and skeletal systems, helps maintain cell membranes, aids in transmission of nerve impulses and muscle contraction, aids in blood formation and coagulation
mineral and electrolyte replacements/supplements
• may cause cardiac arrest and arrhythmias
• phlebitis at site of insertion
• monitor hemodynamics
• may cause hypotension, bradycardia, and arrhythmias
• hypercalcemia can increase risk for digoxin toxicity
• administer slowly
• instruct pt on foods that contain Vitamin D and encourage adequate intake.
• monitor parathyroid hormone