Included In This Lesson
withdrawal symptoms, pain
Suppresses withdrawal symptoms. Binds to opiate receptors in the CNS and alters perception of pain while producing a general depression of the CNS. This depression also causes a decrease in the cough reflex and GI motility.
• use caution if patient is receiving MAO Inhibitors
• may cause QT prolongation, hypotension, respiratory depression, dependence, confusion, sedation
• assess pain, vital signs, bowel function
• may increase pancreatic enzyme levels
• assess withdrawal symptoms