23.11 Phytonadione (Vitamin K) for Newborn
- IM injection given shortly after birth
- Also known as Vitamin K
- Why it’s routinely given: Newborns are born without coagulation factors
- This is given to prevent any hemorrhagic disorders that may result, as newborns are deficient in vitamin K at birth.
- Monitor for bleeding
- Given IM
- Administer IM injection in thigh (vastus lateralis)
- Hold them tight because they’ll move!
- Given 1 hr after birth
- Remember skin to skin time with mother is priority, this can be given after the Golden Hour
- Vitamin not vaccine
- Risks if they do not receive it