08.06 Escitalopram (Lexapro)
Major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, PCD, PTSD, social phobia
Increases the extracellular levels of serotonin in the synaptic cleft by selectively
inhibiting its reuptake
• Contraindicated with MAOI
• May cause suicidal thoughts, insomnia, drowsiness, diarrhea, nausea,
• May cause QT prolongation with certain medications
• Assess for sexual dysfunction
• May take 4-6 weeks for full affect to take place
• Monitor for serotonin syndrome (mental changes, NV, tachycardia,
Cornell Note-Taking System Instructions:
- Record: During the lecture, use the note-taking column to record the lecture using telegraphic sentences.
- Questions: As soon after class as possible, formulate questions based onthe notes in the right-hand column. Writing questions helps to clarifymeanings, reveal relationships, establish continuity, and strengthenmemory. Also, the writing of questions sets up a perfect stage for exam-studying later.
- Recite: Cover the note-taking column with a sheet of paper. Then, looking at the questions or cue-words in the question and cue column only, say aloud, in your own words, the answers to the questions, facts, or ideas indicated by the cue-words.
- Reflect: Reflect on the material by asking yourself questions, for example: “What’s the significance of these facts? What principle are they based on? How can I apply them? How do they fit in with what I already know? What’s beyond them?
- Review: Spend at least ten minutes every week reviewing all your previous notes. If you do, you’ll retain a great deal for current use, as well as, for the exam.
For more information, visit www.nursing.com/cornell