Fundamentals of nursing is a comprehensive course designed to introduce students to the basic principles of the nursing profession. It delivers essential knowledge and skills that nursing students need to learn to provide quality care to patients.
Owing to the demanding nature of a nursing career, this course packs extensive information, which most students struggle to comprehend. Essentially, the fundamentals of nursing course is pretty challenging, and many students either drop or score poor grades.
According to statistics, only 80% of students finish school. The National League of Nursing reports that out of the 20% of students who drop out, most leave in the first semester.
Our NURSING.com course is designed to address this problem by helping struggling students understand the course better and excel.
Information overload is one of the challenges that cause many nursing students to struggle with their studies. We address this challenge by breaking down the course into short lessons and complementing them with cheat sheets and practice questions to help the students grab the concepts better.
As a result, our students report remarkable improvement and high pass rate while cutting down several hours of study time every week. On average, the course helps students achieve 11.6% improvement in the lowest grade and a 99.86% NCLEX pass rate.Start Our Fundamentals Course
What Is the Importance of the Fundamentals of Nursing Course?
The fundamental of nursing is an introductory course that students must take and pass during their first semester in college. It’s an indispensable course because it imparts essential knowledge that prepares them for their actual work.
- As earlier mentioned, the course is pretty comprehensive and involving, which broadens their knowledge and skills. For instance, it enables them to hone their assessment and critical thinking skills to be able to handle different medical situations.
- Students must understand the nursing process, effective communication, patient safety, nursing legalities, among other vital information, to be able to deliver on their duties as expected. This knowledge also forms the basis of their nursing education and career; hence, it’s necessary to master the concepts.
- Competence in fundamental nursing skills is vital in guaranteeing quality patient care. In return, this improves patient satisfaction, which consequently aids their recovery process.
- The skills gained on the fundamental of nursing course set the students on a path of career success. Competent nurses minimize incidences of medical negligence, which are not only life-threatening for the patients but can also ruin their careers and tarnish an institution’s reputation.
Primarily, upon completion of the fundamentals of nursing course, a student should be familiar with how to handle basic nursing duties. For instance, they should be able to provide nursing care to a patient following the laid out procedures, i.e.
- Assess the patient – Once a patient arrives at a health facility, they should be able to assess them to understand their condition. This information is crucial and can be helpful during the diagnosis process.
- Diagnose – After the assessment, they should be able to perform a diagnosis. This involves interviewing the patient for detailed information about their condition.
- Provide nursing Care – Following the assessment and diagnosis, they should be able to devise a plan on how to care for the patient. Essentially, the plan is based on the information acquired during the earlier two stages, so accuracy is essential for appropriate patient care.
- Medical Intervention – They should be able to determine when further diagnosis by the doctor is required. This is an equally crucial step that helps assure the patient by confirming the initial diagnosis.
What Does NURSING.com Fundamentals of Nursing Course Cover?
Essentially, our course seeks to equip you with knowledge on legal and ethical issues, skills for handling emergencies, and other essential information that will enable you to start thinking like a nurse right from the first semester. Moreover, the fundamental skills you acquire come in handy throughout your nursing education and career.
Our fundamentals of nursing course is broken down into twelve modules, consisting of 75 lessons, 645 practice questions, 60 cheat sheets, 14 books, 37 mnemonics, 37 images, 30 picmonics, and 1 case study. Below is a rundown of the modules.
Most Popular Videos in this Course
Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
Module 0 – Fundamentals Course Introduction
Essentially, module 0 is the fundamentals of nursing study guide, outlining the course objectives. It summarizes what you’re expected to achieve upon course completion.
Basically, at the end of the course you should be able to;
- Discuss nursing legal and ethical issues
- Describe the nursing process and implement rules of delegation and prioritization
- Discuss nursing care priorities for patients
- Determine the best way to handle emergencies
- Highlight ways of preventing injury or complications in hospitalized patients
Module 1 – Professional Nursing concepts
This module introduces concepts of professional nursing. It’s broken down into ten lessons as follows;
- What guides nurses practice, with twenty questions and one book
- Advance directives, with twenty questions and one cheat sheet
- Nursing care delivery models, with five questions and one cheat sheet
- Health promotion model, with four questions
- Health promotion assessments, with six questions
- Levels of prevention, with eight questions
- Legal considerations, with twenty questions
- HIPAA, with ten questions and one cheat sheet
- Admissions, discharges, and transfers, with eight questions
- Patient education, with four questions
Module 2 – Safety & Infection
The second module handles ten lessons on safety and infection, namely;
- Brief CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) overview, with twenty questions and one cheat sheet
- Fire and electrical safety, with eight questions, two mnemonics, and one picmonic
- Radiation, with nine questions
- Disposal of waste, with six questions
- Fall and injury prevention, with eight questions and one picmonic
- High-risk behaviors, with twenty questions and one mnemonics
- Restraints 101, with twenty questions, one cheat sheet, and one picmonic
- Isolation precaution types (PPE), with four questions, one cheat sheet, four images, and one picmonic
- Immunizations (vaccinations), with seven questions and two cheat sheets
- Infection stages
Module 3 – Documentation and Report
Documentation and report is another fundamentals’ module covered in five lessons, including;
- Legal aspects of documentation, with four questions
- Documentation basics, with one question and one cheat sheet
- Documentation pro tips, with two cheat sheets
- SBAR communication, with five questions, one cheat sheet, one mnemonics, and one picmonic
- Handoff report, with five questions and three cheat sheets
Module 4 – Prioritization & Delegation
In this module, you learn prioritization and delegation skills delivered in four lessons, namely;
- Maslow’s hierarchy of needs in nursing, with twenty questions, one image, one cheat sheet, and one picmonic
- Delegation, with thirty questions, one cheat sheet, and one picmonic
- Prioritization, with thirty questions and one mnemonic
- Triage, with thirty questions, one cheat sheet, and one mnemonic
Module 5 – Nursing Process & Critical Thinking
Module 5 explains the nursing process and imparts critical thinking skills in nine lessons, including;
- Overview of the nursing process, with one question, one cheat sheet, three mnemonics, and one picmonic
- Nursing process – Assess, with five questions, one cheat sheet, three mnemonics, one book, and one picmonic
- Nursing process – Diagnose, with three questions, one cheat sheet, three mnemonics, one book, and one picmonic
- Nursing process – Plan, with ten questions, three cheat sheets, three mnemonics, one book, and one picmonic
- Nursing process – Implement, with five questions, one cheat sheet, three mnemonics, one book, and one picmonic
- Nursing process – Evaluate, with nine questions, one cheat sheet, three mnemonics, one book, and one picmonic
- Critical thinking, with twenty questions, three mnemonics, one cheat sheet, and one book
- Thinking like a nurse, with two questions, three mnemonics, one cheat sheet, and one book
- The nurse routine, with one mnemonic, two cheat sheets, and one book
Module 6 – Psychosocial – Communication
You will also cover psychosocial and communication lessons under module six, packaged in eight lessons.
- Nurse-patient relationship, with one question and one book
- Therapeutic communication, with nine questions, one book, and one cheat sheet
- Defense mechanisms
- Self-concept, with three questions
- Patients with communication difficulties, with three questions, one image, and two picmonic
- Grief and loss, with seven questions
- Stress and crisis, with nine questions and one book
- Abuse, with eight questions and one picmonic
Module 7 – Physiologic Integrity
Module seven looks into physiologic integrity split into nine lessons, namely.
- Positioning, with eight questions, one cheat sheet, and one picmonic
- Complications of immobility, with twenty questions, one cheat sheet, one picmonic
- Types of exercise, with seven questions
- Mechanical aids, with eleven questions, two cheat sheets, and two picmonics
- Urinary elimination, with ten questions, one mnemonic, one cheat sheet, and five images
- Bowel elimination, five questions, two cheat sheets, one mnemonic, and one image
- Pain and nonpharmacological comfort measures, with twenty-one questions, one mnemonic, two cheat sheets, and one picmonic
- Shock, with four questions, one mnemonic, two cheat sheets, and one picmonic
- Hygiene, with eight questions
Module 8 – Growth & Development
Module eight focuses on growth and development, exploring different theories surrounding the topic. This is also split into eight lessons, namely;
- Overview of developmental theories, with five questions and one cheat sheet
- Kohlberg’s theory of moral development, with five questions and one cheat sheet
- Piaget’s theory of cognitive development, with three questions and one cheat sheet
- Erikson’s theory of psychosocial development, with ten questions, one cheat sheet, and two picmonic
- Family structure and impact on development, with ten questions
- Body image changes throughout development, with four questions
- Cultural awareness and influences, with fourteen questions and two picmonics
- Developmental considerations for the hospitalized individual, with seven questions
Module 9 – Nutrition & Fluid Balance
Under module nine, you will learn about nutrition and fluid balance in six lessons, including;
- Intake and output (I&O), with one question and one cheat sheet
- Glucose monitoring, with nine questions, one mnemonic, two cheat sheets, one image, and one picmonic
- Nutrition assessments, with three questions, one book, and one cheat sheet
- Nutrition (diet) in disease, with five questions and one cheat sheet
- Specialty diets (nutrition), with twenty questions, one cheat sheet, one mnemonic, one image, and two picmonics
- Enteral & parenteral nutrition diet (diet, TPN), with thirteen questions, two images, one picmonic, and one cheat sheet
Module 10 – Oxygenation
Module ten covers the topic of oxygenation in three lessons, including;
- Hierarchy of oxygen delivery, with one cheat sheet and four images
- Artificial airways, with one case study, one cheat sheet, seven images, and one picmonic
- Airway suctioning, with five questions and four images
Module 11 – Health Assessment
Module eleven is the last of the course and looks into health assessment. This is delivered in two lessons, namely;
- Introduction to health assessment, with five cheat sheets
- Head to toe nursing assessment (physical exam), with ten questions, one cheat sheet, five images, and one book
Why Should You Take NURSING.com Fundamentals of Nursing Course?
The short answer is – our approach to learning.
We launched NURSING.com primarily to help students, especially the struggling ones, ace their nursing education. The high success rate of students who have complemented their nursing programs with our courses attests to our learning approach.
By breaking the course into easily digestible lessons with study tools to enhance understandability and practice questions to test progress, our students are able to grasp complex concepts and improve their memory.
Undoubtedly, this simplified learning process automatically translates to improved performance. Our students also report a reduction in their weekly study time by at least four hours, which is impressive.
Why Are Our Study Tools Effective?
All learners are not the same. Some are able to read through chunks of lecture notes and textbooks and glean essential concepts easily, while others find this overwhelming.
Luckily, study methods have constantly been evolving to cater to learners with different learning capabilities. With this understanding, we have incorporated various study tools to enable all our students to master the concepts faster and easily regardless of their learning proficiencies.
- Images and picmonics – Studies have shown that humans process images 60,000 times faster than text. Incorporating images and picmonics in the course helps students improve their course understanding drastically.
- Cheat sheets – Cheat sheets help overcome the challenge of information overload, enabling the students to master essential nursing concepts faster.
- Mnemonics – The use of mnemonics is a great learning technique that helps with encoding and retrieving information from long-term memory. This brings ease and fun into the learning process.
Why Do We Care About Nursing Student Success?
Nurses play a pivotal in the medical profession. Provision of medical, emotional, and mental support to the sick and injured members in society, makes these professionals indispensable.
WE ARE KEEN ON ENDING THE GLOBAL SHORTAGE…..
The healthcare industry cannot operate optimally without adequate nurses to run our medical centers and other facilities where nursing care is needed. As it is, we do have a global shortage of nurses, which is projected to exceed half a million by 2024.
Again, with the global demand for nurses by 2030 estimated at 11 million, it’s a race against time, especially considering the high rate of nursing school dropouts. NURSING.com, therefore, helps bridge the gap by providing a more simplified learning approach to help future nurses cruise through their first semester.
Essentially, the fundamentals of nursing course form the basis of a nurse’s practice. By empowering the students to excel in the course, we hope to give them a head start to ace their nursing education.
WE HAVE BEEN THERE…..
Having struggled in nursing school ourselves, we understand too well how frustrating the journey can get. Hence, we are passionate about using the lessons from our experience to help struggling students turn around their situation and get better grades with lesser effort.
The need to help students excel motivated us to launch the course. But the success stories that keep coming in have fueled our motivation even further.
Enroll in Your Fundamentals of Nursing Course Today!
Are you struggling in your studies, or would you like to study efficiently and free up more time? In these four simple steps, you should be able to start posting better grades.
- Watch lesson videos – Short lessons prepared by world-class practicing nurses.
- Review study tools – Visual study tools (cheat sheets, mnemonics, images, picmonics, etc.) to help you master complex concepts
- Take practice questions – Practice handling tests by assessing your understanding using custom quiz builders
- Take NCLEX® simulation – Prepare for NCLEX® with our simulator, SIMCLEX®
Lastly, our course comes with a 200% money-back guarantee. For instance, if you pass a SIMLEX® but fail in NCLEX®, we refund your money and top it up with a similar amount. We know that sounds crazy, but it all goes to reassure you of our course’s high pass rate.
Ready to turn around your nursing career? Enroll today and gain your full access to;
- Full curriculum
- Printable outlines
- Custom study plans
- Video rationales
- NCLEX® eBook
- Private group and more.